Eggplant is an Italian staple. So is lasagna. This means we have to combine the two. This low carb pasta recipe is keto and amazing.
🔪If you want to slice that eggplant really thin, here is a link to my mandolin 👇
1 large american eggplant
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 medium egg
1 lb ground beef
1 cup chopped mushroom
3 tbsp marinara (sugar-free)
½ cup chopped onion
4-5 cloves minced garlic
Sea Salt and Pepper
toppings (I choose mozzarella, parmesan, and basil)
1) Peel and slice the our “keto lasagna noodles” aka eggplant slices very thin. Then lay them out flat and cover both sides with salt. This will draw out the water and stiffen-up the slices. Let sit for 20 minutes and pat dry with a paper towel when done.
2) While waiting for step 1 to finish, start cooking the beef. Add some oil to a heavy pan. Crank the heat up to high. Add the beef, onions, mushrooms, and garlic all at once and stir until browned. take off the heat.
3) In a medium mixing bowl combine ricotta and egg. Mix until smooth.
4) Take one spoon of the marinara sauce and thinly cover the bottom of a glass casserole dish. Layer on the eggplant slices. layer one scoop of ricotta, a few scoops of the beef (draining the liquid first) Layer another layer of eggplant and repeat until the top layer is just eggplant.
5) Spread a thin layer of marinara on the top layer of the eggplant. and add toppings. I choose mozzarella, parmesan, and basil.
6) Bake at 400F for 30-40 minutes until the top has browned. take out and rest until all the liquid stops bubbling and recedes back into the lasagna. If any remains simply drain.
7) Slice into quarters top with more basil and enjoy!